Bebop Spoken There
Bud Freeman: "I was in the hospital just two weeks--I couldn't bear being there. It seems to me that all the dead people in the world are not in their graves. So I went home" - (Down Beat May 16 1968).
Dan Wilensky: “When I was 19, I explored the highways and byways of the United States with “Brother” Jack McDuff in a small, sometimes rickety white truck in need of a paint job and a new muffler, helped lift his B-3 and Leslie out of said blundermobile, and after a five-hour gig, pocked $60…” – (Down Beat August 2014).
Today Friday August 22
Friday, August 22, 2014
Thursday, August 21, 2014
Remember Jackie & Roy - Jackie Cain & Roy Kral - who provided the bop vocals in Charlie Ventura's Bop For The People band and who, later on, recorded many albums under their own name? Of course you do and so do I. They were a class act.
Well, in the form of Ginger Berglund and Scott Whitfield, they ride again and in good company (see list of featured soloists below). Add the music of Johnny Mandel, lyrics by such as Dave Frishberg and Alan and Marilyn Bergman and arrangements by Whitfield, who also cooks up some tasty trombone solos, and you have the recipe for a very satisfying album.
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Tuesday, August 19, 2014
Monday, August 18, 2014
A Celebration of Chris Hodgkins’ 29 years as Director of Jazz Services at PizzaExpress Jazz Club Tuesday August 26 doors 7pm, £15 - CHRIS HODGKINS QUARTET
Sunday, August 17, 2014
Saturday, August 16, 2014
- CD Review: Blue-Eyed Hawk – Under the Moon
- Tonight at Hoochie Coochie
- CD Review: Solitary Moon - Ginger Berglund & Scott...
- CD Review: Andy Milne and Dapp Theory – Forward in...
- Preview - Chapel Allerton Festival, Leeds.
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Black Bull, Blaydon. August 1...
- Whitley Bay Classic Jazz Party Update
- A Celebration of Chris Hodgkins’ 29 years as Direc...
- Tonight at 7 on BBC 4 TV.
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ The Tyne Bar Newcastle...
- Zoe Gilby Trio @ The Jazz Café. August 15
- R.I.P. Frankie Dunlop.
- The Collective @ Hoochie Coochie August 14
- Bet on a Weekend Double with the Tees Valley Jazzm...
- Barry Manilow & All That Radio Jazz
- Hoochie Coochie Birthday
- RIP Lauren Bacall
- CD Review: Scottish National Jazz Orchestra featur...
- This Sunday at Blaydon Jazz Club
- And Everybody Stayed - Paul Skerritt Band @ The Ch...
- CD Review: Matthieu Marthouret Bounce Trio - Small...
- Gary Copley on Radio York/Leeds
- Gregory Porter Live @ Newport Jazz Festival.
- The Paul Skerritt Band @ Ashington Jazz Club Augus...
- RIP Kenny Drew Jr.
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Jazz Café August 8
- The Mark Williams Trio @ The Cherry Tree, August 4...
- CD Review: Grand Fatilla - Global Shuffle
- [To Stan Getz] "Isn't the saxophone the easiest in...
- Fusion collective Fat-Suit hit the road in Europe
- Co-op's Dividends (Musically speaking)
- CD Review: Topology & Trichotomy - Healthy.
- CD Review: Minimal Klezmer - OY OIOI
- The Jazz Repertory Company Presents…….. Jazz At Th...
- Jazz Café Jam. August 5.
- CD Review: Dave Kain - Raising Kain.
- Jazz Co-op News.
- Joshua Redman @ Jazz en la Costa, Almunecar, Spain...
- Sant Andreu Jazz Band Reign in Spain
- Iceni @ Cumberland Arms. August 3
- Zoe Gilby and Mark Williams : Jazz Cafe: Saturday ...
- Next Week at the Spanish City Plaza
- RIP Lol Wells.
- Alan Glen Trio @ Jazz Café August 1
- Zane Lowe's Hottest Record of the Week (Radio 2)
- RIP Idris Muhammad.
- Sits Vac.
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ The Millstone. July 31...
- ▼ August ( 49 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - email@example.com.
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org I look forward to hearing from you.