Bebop Spoken There
Benny Goodman: “...maybe Fletcher [Henderson] isn't the best pianist going, but he knows what we want.” – (Down Beat December 15, 1939).
Sonny Rollins: “I don't feel I'm as great as they think I am.” – (Down Beat November 28, 1956).
Today Sunday February 7
Sunday, February 07, 2016
(Review by Lance).
I close my eyes and I'm in Detroit or maybe Philly or East St. Louis. I open them and find, to my amazement, I'm still on Tyneside which is just as well as Kathryn Lowdon and the Soul Engineers will be launching their debut EP Cake at Hoochie Coochie on Feb. 21. Listen to Cake with your eyes closed and you too will be eating soul food in a downtown diner.
Saturday, February 06, 2016
Jazz North East @ The Black Swan present a Women Make Music Event February 4 ENTROPI + SHELLY KNOTTS & MARIAM REZAEI DUO
Friday, February 05, 2016
Thursday, February 04, 2016
Wednesday, February 03, 2016
- EP Review: Kathryn Lowdon and the Soul Engineers -...
- CD Review: Ira Hill - Tomorrow.
- Jazz North East @ The Black Swan present a Women M...
- Havana Club 5 Turn Them Away!
- RIP Tony Raine
- CD Review: Ken Peplowski - Enrapture
- GINA SOUTHGATE @ Newcastle Arts Centre - ‘Woman Pa...
- GOGO PENGUIN Announce debut album for Blue Note ...
- TEAM CYCLES ANNOUNCE SPONSORSHIP OF GATESHEAD INTE...
- CD Review: Empirical – Connection
- Dexter Gordon @ University Theatre - Info sought.
- Jazz Café Jam Session - Feb. 2
- Crazy Rhythm: Another in my series of Favourite So...
- You Can See Miles Ahead
- Jamie Toms and Not Now Charlie
- The Lowdown on [Kathryn] Lowdon.
- Evening Chronicle/Pizza Express Competition.
- Durham Jazz Festival at Ushaw!
- Vintage J.G.Windows advert.
- ▼ February ( 19 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on Publish your comment..
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.