Bebop Spoken There
“Pure bluegrass music is very akin to jazz in that you really don't play the same tune the same way twice. There's a little improvisation there" - Cal Collins (Jazz Journal June 1996).
Jazz North East Crowd Funding Appeal.
Today Thursday December 12
VIEUX CARRE JAZZMEN - The Millstone, Haddricks Mill Rd., South Gosforth, NE3 1QL. 1:00pm. 0191 2853429. FREE.
New Orleans in nice pub with 4 real ales, good food and a banjo!
THE TEES HOT CLUB - Dormans, Oxford Rd., Linthorpe, Middlesborough, TS5 5DT. 01642 823813.
Gypsy jazz with guests.
MAINE STREET JAZZMEN - Marquis of Granby, Streetgate, Sunniside, NE16 5ES (on A692) 0191 4880954. Free. 8:45pm.
Good time Dixieland.
STRICTLY SMOKIN' BIG BAND - The Millstone, Haddricks Mill Rd., South Gosforth, NE3 1QL. 7pm. Free.
Powerhouse big band - good music and good beer. Back January 30.
Sunday Dec 15 Blaydon Jazz Club
Christmas Concert - including our usual DIY buffet (please bring along an item of food to add to the feast)
One of the North's finest straight ahead jazz pianists, Teesside's Jeremy McMurray, joins with Blaydon's own Roly Veitch on guitar, Neil Harland bass and Adam Sinclair drums and brilliant Charlie Parker inspired altoist Mark Toomey for an evening of songbook repertoire. We usually finish at 10.30 but as there will probably be a longer break for the buffet it will probably finish a bit later on Sunday - about 10.45 or thereabouts.
Friday, February 13, 2009
Vic Lewis - Almost the last of 'The Few'.
- ► 2013 ( 1041 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- Obituaries Jan/Feb 2009
- Spotlight Jazz Special Offer
- The Jazz Baroness - BBC4 - 75mins.
- R.I.P Ian Carr - A North-east Innovator
- Ruth Lambert CD - Update
- Sax All Night. Courtney Pine at Breakfast Time
- Compassionate Dictatorship at the Cluny
- More on Monk and the Loft - Jack Goodwin
- Yorkshire Heritage Coast Jazz Festival - Staithes ...
- THE LAD v HCW at The Side.
- Thelonious Monk
- Joscho Stephan Trio at the Customs House, South Sh...
- In a Sentimental Mood - Not!
- Ruth's New CD
- Bebop Played There - Damon Brown/Steve Grossman Qu...
- Chillingham Herd Stampede
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT re VOICE OF THE NORTH JAZZ ...
- A 'Sage' Decision. Sir Richard Rodney Bennett & Cl...
- R.I.P. Louis Bellson
- Tonight at the Sage - Claire Martin/Sir Richard Ro...
- Stu Collingwood - Side Café
- Alan Price - Heartbeat
- Tony Bennett BBC 2
- Jazz Musicians killed in Buffalo Air Crash
- Tony Bennett BBC2 Sat 14th 7.30 pm
- Vic Lewis - Almost the last of 'The Few'.
- Zoe Rahman @ Customs House, South Shields.
- Take it to the Bridge at the Chilli
- Thank You from Eric Boeren.
- Hitting the High Notes
- Janet Cook dies and possibly Jazz Journal with her...
- Spelk at The Side Café Feb 9.
- Golden Age of the Corner House Part 2 - Chris Y.
- Farewell - Blossom Dearie
- ALL PARTY JAZZ APPRECIATION GROUP AWARDS 2009
- Eric Boeren Quartet - Encore by Roly Veitch
- Eric Boeren Quartet @ Side Café (Feb 6) + Workshop...
- I Love a Piano by Roly
- Joy Askew by Roly
- Corner House, Heaton - "What's the Big Idea?" - Re...
- Cool at the Coast - Warne Marsh at Whitley Bay 197...
- Alan Glen Trio at the Chillingham
- Some Like It Hot at the Star Inn York - by Liz
- Great North Big Band Jazz Festival News
- Big Band Rehearsal at New Crown
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen at Trojan Rooms Whitley Bay - ...
- Hank Crawford R.I.P
- Laurie Shepherd/Nick Pride - Quadrata Café by John...
- TONIGHT's SIDE GIG CANCELLED
- Frank Rosolino
- ▼ February ( 50 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - email@example.com.
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org I look forward to hearing from you.