Bebop Spoken There
“Pure bluegrass music is very akin to jazz in that you really don't play the same tune the same way twice. There's a little improvisation there" - Cal Collins (Jazz Journal June 1996).
Jazz North East Crowd Funding Appeal.
Thursday December 12
VIEUX CARRE JAZZMEN - The Millstone, Haddricks Mill Rd., South Gosforth, NE3 1QL. 1:00pm. 0191 2853429. FREE.
New Orleans in nice pub with 4 real ales, good food and a banjo!
THE TEES HOT CLUB - Dormans, Oxford Rd., Linthorpe, Middlesborough, TS5 5DT. 01642 823813.
Gypsy jazz with guests.
MAINE STREET JAZZMEN - Marquis of Granby, Streetgate, Sunniside, NE16 5ES (on A692) 0191 4880954. Free. 8:45pm.
Good time Dixieland.
STRICTLY SMOKIN' BIG BAND - The Millstone, Haddricks Mill Rd., South Gosforth, NE3 1QL. 7pm. Free.
Powerhouse big band - good music and good beer. Back January 30.
Sunday Dec 15 Blaydon Jazz Club
Christmas Concert - including our usual DIY buffet (please bring along an item of food to add to the feast)
One of the North's finest straight ahead jazz pianists, Teesside's Jeremy McMurray, joins with Blaydon's own Roly Veitch on guitar, Neil Harland bass and Adam Sinclair drums and brilliant Charlie Parker inspired altoist Mark Toomey for an evening of songbook repertoire. We usually finish at 10.30 but as there will probably be a longer break for the buffet it will probably finish a bit later on Sunday - about 10.45 or thereabouts.
Thursday, June 24, 2010
Rosier than ever at Rosie's with the Maine Street Jazzmen.
- ► 2013 ( 1041 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- Schmazz @ The Cluny: More on Troyka & Corey Mwamba...
- Slice of Troyka followed by a cool glass of Mwamba...
- Whitley Bay Jazz Festival Reminder.
- Stan Martin Funeral Details.
- Sarah Ellen Hughes @ The Cherry Tree Restaurant. A...
- Alter Ego - Splinter @ The Bridge
- Tomorrow at the Cherry Tree.
- Troyka on 3 and at the Cluny.
- Wynton Marsalis & the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestr...
- Jazz At The Fell - John Hallam with The Dream Band...
- Saturday Night @ The Sage Looks Good To Me.
- Farewell Alan Plater O.B.E.
- Mo Scott Trio @ Blaydon.
- R.I.P. Stan Martin
- Rosier than ever at Rosie's with the Maine Street ...
- The Hot 8 Brass Band
- Jazz Returns to the British Legion Club in West Je...
- Ned Kelly Rides Again - Colin Aitchison
- Update on Mike Carr
- Chuck Chucks It!
- Willie Payne - a Guitarist's Guitarist .
- ACV - Splinter @ The Bridge
- Tonight's Big Gig - Splinter @ The Bridge - ACV
- Tal Farlow on KRML
- Customs House Big Band with Ruth Lambert @ Saville...
- Review: The New Couriers - Brazilian Thoroughfare....
- Paul Towndrow's Newology @ the Corner House
- Further Trials of a Trainee Jazz Singer. (If there...
- When It's Sleepy Time (not) Down South Shields
- More on the Great Whittington Jazz Picnic
- Tomorrow at the Corner House
- South Africa Comes to England
- Nigel Kennedy on BBC 1 Tonight.
- From Bev Getz (on Facebook)
- Some People by Sarah Ellen Hughes
- ALEXANDER STEWART MAKES PIZZA EXPRESS DEBUT
- Drums? Bass? - who needs them? Saxophonics and the...
- Next Time You're Down in Texas
- Forget the World Cup - Look what the future holds....
- The Book of Pepper - Jazz Library, Radio 3
- Report from the Jersey Shore
- John Hallam @ Blaydon Jazz Club
- Marcin Wasilewski Trio @ The Sage. June 9th.
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie's (Rosie Malone's, So...
- Archival Items from Don Armstrong.
- Update on New Century Ragtime Orchestra
- Blame it on my Youth - Sarah Ellen Hughes
- The Blaydon Aces - Roly Veitch (guitar & vocals) &...
- WHAT A MUSICAL WEEK!
- Hi-hats and Hot-rods. Paul Edis Trio + Chris Hibba...
- In (and out) of Town Tonight
- Michael Garrick says...
- Extreme Pleasure from Extreme Measures - Splinter ...
- It IS possible to Love a Banjo Player! (of course ...
- Jan Kopinski's Reflektor @ The Sage. June 6th
- Another look at Ashington Jazz Club's Jubilee
- Play Misty for Me
- The Rae Brothers w. Steve Graham, Ian Wynne and Ke...
- Appeal Court Free Corbett and Liddle
- Verona Chard's Fever
- Tomorrow's Warriors Live @ Peter Parker's Hot Dog ...
- Michael Garrick Trio @ Gateshead Old Town Hall
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie's (Rosie Malone's, So...
- Jubilee Quintet @ Ashington Jazz Club
- Nigel Kennedy Quintet and Anna Marie Jopek at The ...
- Nigel Kennedy Takes Pole Position at The Sage
- Tell 'em you're allergic to Andrew Lloyd Webber Li...
- The Customs House Big Band & Ruth Lambert @ New Cr...
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ Corner House. May 31st.
- Martin Taylor on TV tomorrow morning.
- Doctor Who? New Crown, South Shields, Tonight
- ▼ June ( 72 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: email@example.com I look forward to hearing from you.