Iain MacAulay (Tmb/tpt/vcl/mc);Derek Fleck (reeds; Brian Chester (kbd/tmb); John C.Hallam (db/bb); Jim McKeown (dms); plus Barry Soulsby (clt); Roy Gibson (kbd); Doris Fenn (bjo); Teresa Armstrong & John Breddle (vcls).In this ever changing world it's nice to know some things remain the same and Jazz In The Afternoon is one of them, apart from the view, the band having moved from the lounge to the bar.A varied programme, Sweet Sue and a smooth version of Marie, Blue Monk,(funny how you never hear Monk's Crepescule With Nellie these days), C.C. Rider Blues then banjo time with Just A Little While To Stay Here and Walking With The King both full of period charm.After the interval Teresa & Roy gave us Out of Nowhere, my request, and then an excellent My Old Flame. The two trombones said they Couldn't Give Us Anthing But Love, John Breddle promised to see us In His Dreams and then told us There'll Be Some Changes Made, Barry joined the band for the finale Dr. Jazz verse & chorus from Ian & sousaphone solo from J.C. Hallam. All in all a pleasant afternoon with a band who make it look so deceptivley easy.Miles Watson
Bebop Spoken There
TODAY MONDAY MAY 20
Monday, April 09, 2012
Jazz In The Afternoon. Crescent Club Cullercoats Easter Monday.
Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org I look forward to hearing from you.
- DVD Released today - The Jazz Baroness
- DAGDA w. JEAN TOUSSAINT - Splinter @ The Bridge, N...
- Jazz Café
- Tonight's Jazz Line-UP on BBC Radio 3.
- Doggin' Around Hull.
- New Century Ragtime Orchestra - Jazz @ The Fell @ ...
- Meet the Fireflies.
- News Flash! No More Rascals.
- Zoe Gilby Quartet @ Hoochie Coochie.
- R.I.P. Derek Bridge.
- Jazz Esquires @ The Porthole.
- Bobby Carr @ The Porthole, North Shields.
- We Free Kings - Schmazz @ The Cluny. April 24
- Ray Dales w. the Jeremy McMurray Trio @ The Cherry...
- Those Were The Days! Newcastle Jazz Festival 1972....
- Jazz Café
- Redemption Jazz @ The Bridge
- Darlington Jazz Festival @ The Forum Music Centre....
- Some updates
- Darlington Jazz Festival - Sold Out!
- The Blue Jazz Quintet/Take it to The Bridge Jazz W...
- CANCELLED: Irma Thomas & The Norman Beaker Band at...
- Death of a Legend. Bert Weedon R.I.P.
- Wilbur's Fate @ Hoochie Coochie April 19.
- R.I.P. Teddy Charles
- R.I.P. Moira Brown
- Marian McPartland Petition
- Thank you from Rita Nicholson
- Geordie Sinatra Trailer
- CD Review: Euan Burton - Occurrences
- Cambridge Folk Festival – But It’s Not All Folk
- Funding Blow For North East Jazz.
- Solihull Jazz and Blues Festival.
- Art Pepper: (More) Tastes From The Widow's Kitchen...
- They Said Goodbye to Brookmeyer.
- Sean Noonan’s Bourne to Brew @ The Bridge. April 1...
- Shakespeare’s Sonnets and All That Jazz
- Filthy Six @ Hoochie Coochie
- Chicago meets Lanercost.
- New Orleans Z'hulus - Jazz in the (Boston) Spa, Sa...
- A Night To Remember...
- JAZZ AT THE FELL AT THE BRITISH LEGION CLUB - Get ...
- Farewell to Hal McKusick
- Blues in the Closet - Vasilis Xenopoulos with Jim ...
- CD Review: "Frequent Flyer" – Lorenzo Feliciati.
- You Can't Keep a Good Man Down - More on Bobby Car...
- Budtones @ Queen's Hall, Hexham. April 12.
- Kit Downes Quintet @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 12...
- Royal Garden Blues - Ruth Digs
- Safe Sextet @ Hoochie Coochie
- Blaydon Bulletin
- Bill Nicholson Funeral Arrangements.
- CD Review - George Crowley Quartet; Paper Universe...
- CD Review: Match & Fuse (No.3) World Service Proje...
- CD Review: Match & Fuse (No.4) World Service Proje...
- Dave's Dialogue
- Message From Mike Durham
- World Service Project No. 4 w. Tribraco.
- R.I.P. Bill Nicholson (tenor sax/clarinet)
- Jazz In The Afternoon. Crescent Club Cullercoats ...
- Groove-a-matics @ Tyne Bar - The Show Didn't Go On...
- Quote of the weekend
- Swing City Trio w. Ray Harley @ Darlington Arts Ce...
- Greg Spero Trio - Splinter @ The Bridge Hotel, New...
- Tonight @ The Bridge
- Dos Guitars/Elaine Binney and the Jazz Rascals @ A...
- Jay Phelps Big Band @ The Sage.
- Clare Teal w. the Jay Phelps Big Band @ The Sage.
- Eric Stutt on Good Friday @ The Jazz Café (On Fac...
- We Have Our Agents Everywhere - look out for them ...
- Spero sets the pace - Greg Spero Trio @ Dacre Hall...
- Digby Fairweather Joins Keith Nichols at Customs H...
- Zoe Gilby Quartet @ Blaydon Jazz Club. Thursday Ap...
- Paul Edis Sextet, Queen’s Hall, Hexham. Thursday A...
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ Hoochie Coochie
- Jazz on BBC Radio 3 at Easter.
- Death of Jim Marshall aged 88.
- Art Pepper: Tastes From the Widow's Kitchen.
- Night Lights - Gerry Mulligan
- Spring Jazz at the Continental, Preston, Lancs
- Message to Mike Durham
- Customs House Big Band
- Daryl Sherman Carrying Cole to Newcastle (Gateshea...
- Doris Day - Put 'Em In A Box, Tie 'Em With A Ribbo...
- RIP Jim Perry
- Frith Street @ The Cherry Tree.
- Djangologie - Jazz in the (Boston) Spa. Saturday M...
- Jazz @ The Fell @ The Legion - Gavin Lee's New Orl...
- A Jazz Day Out. Sunday April 1.
- Only 24 bars from The Bridge... Jazz Café Jam
- ▼ April ( 90 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - email@example.com.